PREVIEW: Rusk Looks to Take First Place in District From Diboll
DISTRICT 8-4A Division II
Diboll Lumberjacks (6-1, 2-0)
Rusk Eagles (7-2, 2-1)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Eagle Stadium, Rusk
- Diboll: Blake Morrison
- Rusk: Jowell Hancock
- Diboll: Bye
- Rusk: def. Huntington 54-6
- Diboll: vs. Jasperl, Nov. 10
- Rusk: Bye
- RB/LB Lucio Monrroy, Sr., 5-9, 210
- Ol/DL Jovanni Concha, Sr., 6-1, 285
- RB Ty Hamilton, Sr., 5-11, 180
- WR Jemarcus White, Sr., 6-2, 180
- LB Brady Jordan, Jr., 5-11, 195
- OL Cameron Cheshire, Jr., 6-4, 270
- ATH Jeremiah Settler, Soph., 5-9, 155
- RB/LB Herbert Gums, Soph., 6-2, 215
- QB/DB Darrian McDuff, Sr., 6-1, 185 (96-of-152, 1,546 yards, 16 TDs, 8 INTs; 139 carries, 891 yards, 13 TDs)
- RB/LB Sam Thomas, Sr., 5-10, 190 (109 carries, 1,041 yards, 12 TDs)
- WR Joseph Francis, 6-1, 170 (29 catches, 602 yards, 7 TDs)
- OL/DL Travis Pepin, Sr., 6-2, 275
- OL/DL Jermaine Lewis, Jr., 6-3, 230
- RB Damion Freeney, Sr., 6-0, 170 (18 carries, 101 yards, 1 TD; 13 catches, 140 yards, 3 TDs)
Just the facts
- Diboll is averaging 43.9 points per contest.
- The Lumberjacks are on a five-game winning streak, having not lost a game since Sept. 15.
- Diboll's opponents are 17-38 this season (.309).
- Rusk's opponents are 35-41 this season (.461).
- Rusk is averaging 239.9 yards per game rushing.
- Darrian McDuff has thrown and rushed for 100 yards in the same game three times this season.
- Rusk is 5-4 against Diboll since 2004.
- The Eagles won last season's matchup, 47-12.
Key matchup: Rusk rushing attack against the Diboll defense. The Raiders have two guys capable of going for 100 yards in Sam Thomas and Darrian McDuff. The two have done so in the same game four times this season, all of which were Rusk victories.
Containing both will be near impossible, but if Diboll can at least slow the production of one, it has a chance in this game. The Lumberjacks will need to call on Brady Jordan and Lucio Monroy for extra effort in this one.
Rusk is putting up nearly 240 yards per game on the ground. Diboll will hope to cut that number in half. If it does so, District 8-4A Division II is likely its to lose.
Don't be surprised if: Joseph Francis performs. Lost in Rusk's great running attack is its solid passing game. McDuff has throw for more then 1,500 yards this season and 602 of them have gone to Francis.
The two have also connected for seven touchdowns so far. If Rusk is going to win this game, it can't be one-dimensional, so expect the Eagles to air it out from time to time.
And when they do, don't be surprised if Francis is getting the majority of the target. A touchdown reception or two wouldn't come as a huge shock.