PREVIEW: Sulphur Springs + Corsicana Meet For First Place in District
DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION II
Corsicana Tigers (6-1, 5-0)
Sulphur Springs Wildcats (5-0, 4-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Gerald Prim Stadium, Sulphur Springs
- Corsicana: Steve Hoffman
- Sulphur Springs: Greg Owens
- Corsicana: def. Royse City, 20-0
- Sulphur Springs: def. Ennis, 45-28
- Corsicana: vs. Forney, Oct. 26
- Sulphur Springs: at Greenville, Oct. 26
Players to watch
- QB Blake Hoffman, Sr., 5-10, 175 (72 of 121, 941 yards, 5 TDs, 2 INTs; 116 carries, 937 yards, 12 TDs)
- RB Dajioun Nathan, Sr., 5-10, 174 (77 carries, 541 yards, 8 TDs; 9 catches, 113 yards, 1 TD)
- RB Canon Moore, Sr., 6-1, 190 (79 carries, 471 yards, 6 TDs)
- WR Jervontae Anderson, Sr. (27 catches, 320 yards, 1 TD)
- WR Drew Denbow, Jr. (19 catches, 249 yards, 2 TDs)
- QB D'Corian Young, Sr., 6-0, 170 (67 of 104, 961 yards, 11 TDs, 2 INTs; 32 carries, 204 yards, 6 TDs)
- WR/DB Austin Dodd, Sr., 5-10, 160 (19 catches, 477 yards, 6 TDs; 2 carries, 48 yards; 22 tackles, 1 for loss, 2 INTs, 3 PBUs, 1 forced fumble, 1 recovery)
- RB Caden Davis, Soph., 5-8, 175 (63 carries, 388 yards, 3 TDs; 7 catches, 30 yards)
- LB Kylan Wade, Jr., 6-1, 200 (47 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 sack, 2 PBUs, 1 forced fumble, 2 recoveries)
- WR/DB Landry Tyson, Sr., 6-2, 185 (10 catches, 154 yards, 3 TDs; 27 tackles, 1 for loss, 2 INTs)
- LB Daniel Moreno, Sr., 5-9, 170 (39 tackles, 2 for loss)
- RB Colton Allen, Sr., 5-6, 180 (62 carries, 321 yards, 3 TDs)
- DL Jose Rodriguez, Sr., 5-11, 227 (26 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 sack)
Just the facts
- The cumulative record of Corsicana's opponents in 2018 is 20-22 (.476).
- Corsicana is averaging 32 points and 427.2 yards per game -- 293.1 rushing and 134.1 passing.
- Tigers senior quarterback Blake Hoffman has accounted for 1,878 yards of offense and 17 touchdowns.
- Corsicana is allowing 19.7 points per game, and has shut out its previous two opponents.
- The cumulative record of Sulphur Springs' opponents in 2018 is 10-20 (.333).
- Sulphur Springs is averaging 41.6 points and 419 yards per game -- 226.8 rushing and 192.2 passing.
- Wildcats senior receiver Austin Dodd is averaging 25.1 yards per catch.
- Sulphur Springs is allowing 29.4 points per game, has five sacks, and has forced 13 turnovers -- five interceptions and eight fumbles.
Key matchup: Corsicana rushing attack vs. Sulphur Springs defensive front. The Tigers offense comes into Friday's showdown for first place in District 8-5A Division II averaging more 32 points per game and almost 300 rushing yards. Most of the production comes from senior quarterback Blake Hoffman, who averages 268.3 yards of offense per game, and leads the team with 937 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns. But Hoffman has a couple of standout running backs he can hand the ball to in seniors Dajioun Nathan and Canon Moore, who come into this week with a combined 1,012 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground. Corsicana won't abandon the passing game as it averages almost 17 passing attempts per game, but the running game is the definitive key to the Tigers' offense.
If Sulphur Springs can figure out a way to contain Corsicana on the ground, the Wildcats' defense can begin applying pressure to Hoffman, which could lead to turnovers. And any extra possessions Sulphur Springs' defense can create for its offense will do nothing but help the Wildcats' cause.
Don't be surprised if: Friday's game is low-scoring. Even though both Corsicana and Sulphur Springs score more than 30 points and gain more than 400 yards of offense per game, the defenses for each team are capable of dominating. In fact, Corsicana is coming off back-to-back shutouts, and is allowing less than 300 yards per game on average. And while Sulphur Springs allows almost 30 points per game, the Wildcats' defense has forced 13 turnovers in only five games. Miscues will no doubt have a major impact on Friday's outcome. Can Sulphur Springs force enough Corsicana mistakes?