PREVIEW: Tenaha + Garrison Clash for District 11-2A D-I Title
DISTRICT 11-2A DIVISION I
Tenaha Tigers (6-1, 3-0)
Garrison Bulldogs (6-2, 4-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Bulldog Stadium, Garrison
- Tenaha: Greg Jenkins
- Garrison: Larry Prince
- Tenaha: def. Harleton, 50-0
- Garrison: def. Beckville, 41-35
- Tenaha: vs. Joaquin, Nov. 2
- Garrison: at Harleton, Nov. 2
Players to watch
- DL/OL Juarmez Brock, Sr., 6-1, 245
- WR/DB Jay Lloyd, Sr., 5-11, 170 (136 carries, 933 yards, 13 TDs; 13 catches, 254 yards, 4 TDs)
- QB Hayden Jenkins, Jr., 6-2, 175 (82-of-134, 1,377 yards, 15 TDs, 4 INTs)
- SS/WR Ja'Qualin Franks, Sr., 6-1, 165 (19 catches, 425 yards, 4 TDs)
- DL/OL Jared Tovar, Jr.
- DL Nictavian Calloway, Sr., 5-10, 265
- DE/C Tycorreus Villegas, Sr., 5-9, 235
- WR/DB Erik Smith, Jr., 6-3, 180 (25 catches, 451 yards, 4 TDs)
- RB/LB Sabastion Porter, Jr., 5-9, 180 (197 carries, 1,498 yards, 24 TDs; 86 tackles, 16 for loss, 2 sacks, 3 forced fumbles)
- DL Wyatt Reneau, Sr., 6-1, 250 (43 tackles, 11 for loss, 5 sacks, 3 blocked kicks)
- QB Drew Wise, Sr., 5-9, 165 (46-of-86, 748 yards, 9 TDs)
- RB Jakedrick Watts, Jr., 5-8, 165 (88 carries, 536 yards, 4 TDs)
- RB Jakadrick Watts, Jr. (27 carries, 406 yards, 5 TDs)
- OL/DL Adam Renfro, Sr., 6-3, 280
- WR/DB Austin Colle, Sr., 5-5, 135 (16 catches, 301 yards, 4 TDs)
- WR Canyon Holmes, Jr., 6-1, 152 (11 catches, 185 yards, 3 TDs)
- LB Blake Greer, Sr., 6-0, 155 (63 tackles, 12 for loss, 2 sacks)
- DB Dallas Porter, So., 5-11 (35 tackles, 5 INTs, 1 defensive TD)
Just the facts
- Since 2004, the series between Garrison and Tenaha is tied at 2-2. Garrison won the most recent matchup in 2013, 17-10.
- Tenaha averages 415.3 yards per game (193.6 passing and 221.7 rushing).
- Jay Lloyd's 1,196 all-purpose yards lead Tenaha. He is averaging 6.9 yards per carry and 19.5 yards per reception.
- Tenaha's defense is giving up just 15.9 points per game this season. The Tigers have held their opponent to single digits three times this season.
- Bulldog running back Sabastion Porter's 1,498 yards rushing and 24 touchdowns are both good for the most in East Texas.
- Garrison quarterback Drew Wise has completed 53.5 percent of his passes this season. He is averaging 16.3 yards per completion.
- Bulldog defensive back Dallas Porter is playing his first season on varsity. He is tied for second in East Texas with five interceptions.
Key matchup: Garrison rushing attack against the Tenaha defense. Sabastion Porter is one of the better running backs in East Texas. His 1,498 yards and 24 touchdowns alone should put any defense on notice. However, he isn't the only weapon the Bulldogs have in the backfield. Jakedrick and Jakadrick Watts have combined for more than 900 yards and nine touchdowns so far. The Bulldogs have had their way with most defenses they've faced so far, but Tenaha provides a different skill level.
Jay Lloyd joins JaQualin Franks and Erik Smith in the secondary. Juarmez Brock holds things down for the defensive line. Tenaha has pitched two shutouts and held Lovelady to two points in non-district play. Teams are scoring just 15.9 points per game on the Tigers.
Both of these groups have proven to be among the best in the area this season. Whichever is better Friday puts its team that much closer to a district title.
Don't be surprised if: Jay Lloyd emerges as Tenaha's leader on offense. Lloyd has done most of his damage at running back, where he has amassed 933 yards and 13 touchdowns this season. However, he also has 254 yards receiving and four touchdown catches. The Tigers have plenty of weapons on offense, but Lloyd has been the clear favorite so far. Look for Tenaha to go his was numerous times on Friday.