PREVIEW: Undefeated Jasper Faces Big Test Against West Orange-Stark
West Orange-Stark Mustangs (2-3)
Jasper Bulldogs (5-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Bulldog Field, Jasper
- West Orange-Stark: Cornel Thompson
- Jasper: John Berry
- West Orange-Stark: def. Bridge City, 21-0
- Jasper: def. La Marque, 41-6
- West Orange-Stark: vs. Silsbee, Oct. 12
- Jasper: vs. Shepherd, Oct. 12
Players to watch
- QB Jerren Terrell, So., 6-1, 180 (9-of-11, 196 yards, 3 TDs)
- RB/LB Kavyn Cooper, Sr., 5-9, 178 (10 carries, 85 yards)
- RB Justin Sibley, Sr., 5-8, 170 (15 carries, 57 yards)
- WR/RB Javonn Ross, Sr., 5-9, 165 (10 carries, 98 yards, 1 catch 21 yards)
- OL/DL Quincy Ledet, Jr., 6-2, 255
- OL JaCorry Brady, Sr., 5-11, 255
- DB Teshaun Teel, Sr., 6-0, 180
- ATH Montavien Hunt, Jr., 5-9 (72 carries, 816 yards, 11 TDs)
- ATH Charlie Burnett, Sr., 5-10, 155 (23 carries, 223 yards, 2 TDs; 4 tackles, 1 PBU)
- LB William Bluitt, Sr., 5-9 (4 carries, 8 yards, 2 TDs; 23 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery)
- OL/DL Brashaun Hubbard, Jr. (6 carries, 54 yards, 4 TDs; 14 tackles, 8 for loss, 2 sacks, 1 fumble recovery)
- OL Trent Bryant, Sr., 6-2, 250
- QB Colton Womack, 6-5, 190 (29-of-45, 467 yards, 7 TDs; 10 carries, -11 yards)
- WR/DB La'Javien Jackson, Sr., 5-11, 155 (9 catches, 141 yards, 4 TDs; 4 tackles, 1 fumble recovery)
- WR Bryce Barbay, Jr., 6-0, 165 (6 catches, 133 yards, 3 TDs; 8 tackles, 1 forced fumble)
- DB Tee Collins, Jr., 6-2 (12 tackles, 2 for loss, 2 INTs, 2 fumble recoveries)
Just the facts
- Jasper is 2-9 against West Orange-Stark since 2004, according to MaxPreps. The Bulldogs lost the most recent contest in 2015 by score of 53-0.
- Jasper is averaging 393.2 yards per game (95.4 passing and 297.8 rushing).
- Bulldog running back Montavien Hunt has rushed for at least 100 yards in every game this season and for more than 200 twice.
- Jasper's opponents have a combined record of 4-21 this season.
- Since losing to Pleasant Grove in the state championship in 2017, West Orange-Stark is 2-4. The Mustangs previously held the longest-active winning streak in Texas high school football.
- West Orange-Stark played fellow East Texas squad Newton earlier this season, falling 21-7.
- The Mustangs' opponents have a record of 14-8, the three teams they lost to have a combined record of 12-0.
Key matchup: The Jasper offense against the West Orange-Stark defense. Jasper is averaging 46.8 points per game so far, but it is unlikely they will score that much against the Mustangs. West Orange-Stark has given up just 75 points this season, with 35 coming in one game. The Mustangs have pitched two shutouts thus far.
It's going to be a bit more difficult for Jasper, whose non-district schedule to this point has left much to be desired. Montavien Hunt has emerged as one of East Texas' best running backs, with 816 yards thus far. Colton Womack balances the offense with his passing, as he is nearing 500 yards entering this game.
Perhaps the Bulldogs offense is a force to be reckoned with, but it hasn't faced a proper test through five games. It will certainly get that Friday.
Don't be surprised if: This one is high-scoring. The Mustangs offense is capable of putting up big numbers. Jerren Terrell is a solid quarterback and has a couple of backs in Kavyn Cooper and Justin Sibley. Jasper will need its offense to continue at the pace it has been if it hopes to come away with a victory in this one. That'll be a tall task, but Hunter has rushed for at least 100 yards in every game thus far. If he can get over that make again, it bodes well for the Bulldogs' chances.