Southern Miss First To Offer Longview’s Marcus Williams
Southern Miss didn't need much time to consider Marcus Williams' summer camp performance Monday. It offered the Longview offensive lineman shortly after the East Texas Baptist University camp, according to the Longview News-Journal.
Members of the Golden Eagles staff were in Marshall for the camp alongside coaches from Texas, Texas State and, naturally, ETBU.
Williams (6-6, 250) played along Longview's offensive line as a sophomore. He's expected to be the starting left tackle this season for one of the region's most successful large-sized schools.
Longview won a share of the District 11-6A championship before losing a one-point heartbreaker on the road against Beaumont West Brook in the first round of the Class 6A Division II postseason. The year ended with an overall record of 8-3.
Southern Miss has been very active within the region under second-year coach Jay Hopson. It offered senior Tatum offensive lineman Drake Centers and junior Texas High quarterback Coltin Clark around the same time it got to Williams.
Another 12 local players among the senior and junior classes have offers from the Golden Eagles.
Hopson led Southern Miss to a 6-6 regular season and a win against Louisiana-Lafayette in the New Orleans Bowl his first season.
Williams will become eligible to sign with Southern Miss or any NCAA Division I school that offers him in December of 2018.
2019 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jade Ashalintubbi, Elysian Fields, OL, 6-6, 331 —offers from Tulsa, ULM (2)
- Chance Billington, John Tyler, OL, 6-3, 201 — offer from SMU (1)
- Keontae Burns, Pittsburg, WR, 6-3, 182 — offers from Iowa State, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss (4)
- Coltin Clack, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 202 — offers from Florida Atlantic, SMU, Southern Miss (3)
- T.Q. Jackson, Jefferson, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from SMU (1)
- Keivie Rose, Henderson, DE, 6-4, 220 — offers from Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, SMU, Tulane (4)
- Carl Williams, Lufkin, DT, 6-3, 275 — offers from Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Tulsa (4)
- Marcus Williams, Longview, OL, 6-6, 250 — offer from Southern Miss (1)