Texas State First to Offer Lufkin’s Dhailon Phillips
Lufkin junior receiver Dhailon Phillips earned his first Division I FBS offer on Saturday, becoming an official target of Texas State.
Phillips (6-3, 195) tweeted out the news just after his teammate, quarterback Kordell Rodgers, announced an offer from Texas State as well.
The 2017 East Texas recruiting class now has 15 players with at least one FBS offer. Texas State has invitations out to six area prospects.
In addition to Phillips and Rodgers, the Bobcats have offered Hooks WR Montrell Estell, Center WR Octavius Evans, John Tyler CB Javontavius Mosley, and John Tyler ATH Bryson Smith.
A lot has changed at Texas State since its 2015 season ended at 3-9.
Dennis Franchione resigned as the program’s head at the conclusion of the campaign and Everett Withers ultimately replaced him. Withers joined the team following a successful two-year stint at James Madison highlighted by two FCS playoff appearances.
The Bobcats’ new leader also served as North Carolina’s interim head coach for the 2011 season after Butch Davis was fired in conjunction with that school’s academic scandal. North Carolina went 7-5 during the regular season before dropping the Independence Bowl to Missouri.
Withers also has seven years of NFL experience as a defensive backs coach and served as a defensive coordinator at Minnesota and Ohio State.
The Texas State program has been bowl eligible twice through its three seasons as a full-fledged FBS school, but it will still be looking for its first bowl game appearance through the 2016 season.
Phillips had a standout junior season for Lufkin, finishing with 43 catches for 675 yards and six touchdowns in 11 games. The Panthers went 7-4, advancing to the Class 5A Division I bi-district round of the playoffs.
Lufkin will be a member of District 12-6A this fall along with Beaumont West Brook, Conroe, Conroe Oak Ridge, Montgomery, The Woodlands, and The Woodlands College Park.
Phillips, like all 2017 recruits, can officially sign with the school of their choosing on Feb. 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, SMU, ULL (4)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas, Kansas (3)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR, 6-2, 180 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (10)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — offer from Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from SMU, Tulane, ULL (3)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (4)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 -- offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (9)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by SMU (1)