Tulsa Offers Henderson Receiver Trestan Ebner
The seventh offer is in for Henderson receiver Trestan Ebner.
Count Tulsa in the mix for the District 9-4A Division I standout. The Golden Hurricane program, Ebner announced through his personal Twitter account, reached out with a college football scholarship opportunity Friday evening.
Ebner (5-11, 180) was verbally committed to SMU between Dec. 17 and April 9, but he backed off his pledge as more programs came into his fold. The receiver has not ruled out committing back to SMU at a later date.
In addition to Tulsa and SMU, both American Athletic Conference members, the receiver holds standing invitations to join the teams at Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, North Texas and Syracuse.
Tulsa reached the Independence Bowl in Shreveport last year, falling to Virginia Tech for a 6-7 overall record under first-year head coach Phillip Montgomery. It was a four-win improvement compared to the 2014 season.
Montgomery was most notable for being Baylor's offensive coordinator before taking the Tulsa job. He got on the ground floor with Art Briles and helped raise Baylor from a perennial loser in Big 12 Conference play into a national contender.
Tulsa's head coach also spent time with Briles at Houston and at Stephenville High School before Briles departed to begin his college assistant coaching career at Texas Tech.
Montgomery remained at Stephenville for a few years and then became the offensive coordinator at Denton High School for the 2002 season before Briles summoned him to join the Houston staff.
Ebner helped Henderson to a 7-3 finish in 2015. The team missed the playoffs despite tying for the final playoff berth out of District 9-4A Division I, but ended the regular season with a 30-10 win over the league’s first-place finisher, Kilgore.
Henderson will compete alongside Bullard, Carthage, Center, Chapel Hill, Kilgore and Palestine this upcoming season.
Ebner, like all current junior prospects, can officially sign with the college of his choosing on Feb. 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, UTSA (9)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, North Texas, SMU, Syracuse, Tulsa (7)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, SMU, Tulane, ULL (5)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (5)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (6)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (9)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (11)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Louisiana Tech, Ohio, SMU, Tulane, UTSA (5)