Two Major Offers Arrive for Newton’s James Sylvester
James Sylvester is just a sophomore, but he is already garnering attention from the nation's top programs.
Sylvester, a 2020 DE at Newton, reported an offer from defending national champion Alabama on Saturday.
Two days later, Sylvester reported another offer from Oklahoma, which made the College Football Playoff last season.
Sylvester was second on the team in sacks last season, recording eight. He also had 82 total tackles, including eight for loss. He was a part of a Newton defensive team that allowed just 9.6 points per contest and won the Class 3A Division II state championship in 2017.
Alabama competes in the SEC and defeated Georgia to claim the national championship in 2017-18. The Crimson Tide finished with a 13-1 record. Oklahoma competes in the Big 12 and last to Georgia in the College Football Playoff semifinals. The Sooners finished 12-2.
Sylvester, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any team that offers him beginning in December 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (6)
- JJ Green, Marshall, QB, 6-2, 165 -- offer from Nebraska, Ole Miss (2)
- Khalan Griffin, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Herbert Gums, Diboll, RB, 6-1, 228 -- offer from Houston (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Devon King, Gilmer, OL, 6-3, 320 -- offer from Texas State (1)
- Haynes King, Longview, QB, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, ULM (3)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, SMU, Texas A&M (6)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offers from Arkansas, South Florida (2)
- Savion Williams, Marshall, WR, 6-3, 165 -- offer from Bowling Green (1)