UTSA Offers Gilmer Safety Kollin Hurt
Kollin Hurt already had two offers. Now he has an in-state option.
UTSA offered the rising senior Gilmer safety Wednesday and joined Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana Tech in the chase. Hurt announced the news through his personal Twitter account.
Hurt (6-3, 175) led the region in interceptions last season with 11 through a 15-game campaign as Gilmer worked toward the Class 4A Division II state semifinal round. Five of his picks came in postseason games, an average of one per game.
In addition to ballhawking, Hurt cracked the ETSN.fm tackles leader board with 114. He was also one of 10 Gilmer players to record at least 100 yards receiving with 234 yards and three touchdowns on 17 receptions as a part-time offensive player.
Gilmer built up a school-best, 31-game winning streak in the process. The streak dated back to Week 1 of the 2014 season and included the 2014 Class 4A Division II state crown.
The two combined seasons surpassed a 25-game Gilmer winning streak between an undefeated 2004 slate and a 5-0 start in 2005.
The Roadrunners program is in its first transitional phase since beginning competition in 2011. Inaugural head coach Larry Coker left the program following a 3-9 season last year and was replaced by new coach Frank Wilson.
Wilson joined UTSA following five seasons at LSU as the running backs coach. He ultimately advanced to running game coordinator and associate head coach under Les Miles in addition to his role as a positional coach.
The Roadrunners will start the 2016 season in search of their first bowl game appearance. UTSA has been bowl eligible once in its three-year stint with Conference USA, following one season as a part of the now-defunct Western Athletic Conference as a probationary Division I FBS school and one season as an FCS competitor.
In addition to Hurt, UTSA earned a commitment from John Tyler rising senior Javontavius Mosley and has other standing offers out for Tyler Bishop Gorman receiver Judah Bell, Henderson receiver Trestan Ebner, Arp athlete Kayce Medlock, Gilmer receiver LaMarcus Morton and Nacogdoches cornerback Josh Thompson.
Hurt, like all high school football prospects preparing for their senior year, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tristan Allen, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 206 — offer from UTEP (1)
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-1, 216 — offers from Air Force, Army (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Terrell Cooper, Lindale, DE, 6-3, 240 — offered by Memphis (1)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Texas A&M, Tulsa (18)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offers from ULM, Wyoming (2)
- Tre Gatlin, Carthage, DE, 6-6, 210 —offer from Wyoming (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offers from Louisiana Tech, ULM, UTSA (3)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-10, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (7)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, New Mexico State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (13)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Cade Pearson, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 193 — offers from North Texas, Wyoming (2)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-1, 177 — offers from Memphis, Navy (2)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (16)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, LB, 6-3, 225 — offers from Air Force, ULM, UTEP (3)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas Tech (13)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, North Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (22)
- Lakendrick VanZandt, Henderson, S, 6-1, 196 — offered by Houston, Memphis, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane, Tulsa (7)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)