New Mexico Offers Bishop Gorman Receiver Judah Bell
Judah Bell strung together back-to-back days of new college football scholarship offers.
New Mexico is the latest school interested in landing the junior Bishop Gorman receiver's services. Bell (6-3, 180) first announced the news through his personal Twitter account Tuesday afternoon.
Bell's most recent offer before New Mexico came Monday from Stephen F. Austin.
The Lobos enjoyed a breakthrough 2015 season under Bob Davie in his fourth year with the program. They reached the New Mexico Bowl, their first bowl game since 2007, following a 5-3 Mountain West Conference mark and an overall regular season record of 7-5.
Arizona downed New Mexico in the bowl game.
Davie's first three teams in Albuquerque, N.M., never won more than four games a year in part because of preceding head coach Mike Locksley's disastrous tenure. Locksley, who took the job in 2009 and was fired midway through 2011, never won more than one game per season through his two and a half years.
But the Lobos program enjoyed some good moments before the 2015 season. New Mexico has made 12 bowl appearances in total and has produced more than 60 NFL Draft picks, most notably retired linebacker Brian Urlacher.
Bell was instrumental in the Bishop Gorman’s run to the TAPPS Division II playoffs in 2015. He finished his year with 68 receptions for 1,350 yards and 16 touchdowns in only 11 games played.
New Mexico's invitation marked Bell's 13th from an FBS program. The list is rounded out by Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, UTSA and Wyoming.
Bell, like all high school football prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Texas A&M, Tulsa (17)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (11)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-2, 175 — offer from Memphis (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (16)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, LB, 6-3, 225 — offer from Air Force (1)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (12)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Ohio, SMU, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (18)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)