Ohio State Offer Makes Arp’s DeMarvion Overshown A Prospect In All Five Power Conferences
DeMarvion Overshown already had the state and its linked offshoots, the West Coast, the East Coast and now has the Midwest thanks to a scholarship opportunity extended Tuesday by Ohio State.
The Buckeyes program's invitation makes 20 total offers for the junior Arp safety and all-around athlete. He reported the news directly to ETSN.fm.
Overshown (6-4, 196) was a key piece in Arp’s run to the Class 3A Division II state semifinals last season. He recorded 173 tackles from his safety spot and caught four passes for 121 yards in a 15-game campaign.
Since then, the safety has risen to be Scout.com's 73rd-ranked player in the junior class nationally regardless of position. That's the highest ranking within an impressive local 2018 group of seven already identified players possessing invitations from an assortment of 29 different NCAA Division I FBS schools.
East Texas' developing class holds 54 FBS offers in total, counting schools as many times as they have offered prospects.
Overshown leads the way with five schools in his portfolio that have reached the College Football Playoff at least once in its three-season history. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are the schools that have won under the current format, and all have offered him.
Schools from the Big 12 Conference and Pac-12 also have issued invites.
The Buckeyes won the inaugural College Football Playoff championship in 2014 and made a semifinal appearance this past season against Clemson. They reached the Fiesta Bowl out of its cycle as a playoff venue in 2015.
Ohio State has never finished worse than a 10th-place team in at least one of the two major polls -- the AP Poll and USA TODAY Coaches Poll -- since Urban Meyer took over the program in 2012. That includes the bowless 2012 season as the Buckeyes finished NCAA sanctions for infractions committed under Jim Tressel's regime.
In addition to recent success in Columbus, Ohio, Meyer won two national championships at Florida. One of those title wins came against Ohio State.
The Buckeyes program has eight national championships and is tied for the all-time lead in Heisman Trophy winners if you count Archie Griffin twice. Griffin is the only college football player to win the Heisman two times in a career and leads five one-time winners from the school.
Ohio State had 39 former players on NFL rosters this past season, including Dallas Cowboys rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott.
Overshown, like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February of 2018.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Mississippi State (2)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Bowling Green, Iowa State (2)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offer from ULL (1)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-0, 215 — offer from Mississippi State (1)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, C, 6-3, 340 — offers from Baylor, Louisiana Tech, LSU, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, UTSA (19)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 —offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, Kansas, LSU, Missouri, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, UTSA (19)