Texas + Baylor Offer Whitehouse 2015 Standout Justin Dunning
The second offer was a big one for Justin Dunning.
Whitehouse’s big, rangy safety in the 2015 class received an offer from Texas on Thursday night, Dunning told ETSN.fm via text. After calling Texas head coach Mack Brown, the Longhorns’ boss offered him over the phone, Dunning added.
Friday morning brought Dunning’s third offer, which came from the Baylor Bears, he announced on Twitter. He also said that he’s been invited to the Rivals 250 Underclassmen Challenge, which is July 7 at DeSoto High School. The event features many of the top junior, sophomore, and freshmen football prospects in the country.
A strong sophomore campaign and the potential that his large frame and athleticism suggest have made Dunning a highly sought after target for colleges across the region. Dunning measured 6-foot-5 1/2 and 200 pounds in shoes at the ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine, where he won the defensive backs MVP.
Dunning had the combine’s best vertical jump (40.4 inches), the third-best broad jump (10 feet, 4 inches), and the third-best 40-yard dash (4.41 seconds) of the 100 athletes at the event.
Taller than 6-foot-3 barefoot, Dunning got his first offer from Texas Tech a little more than a month ago when he visited Lubbock for the Red Raiders’ spring game.
Dunning accumulated 61 tackles, five interceptions, three fumble recoveries, and five pass breakups in 2012, helping the Wildcats to a 10-2 record and Class 4A Division II Region II second-round playoff appearance. Dunning was selected to the ETSN.fm Football Super Team Second Team for his performance.
This week has been busy for safety targets in East Texas’ 2015 class. In addition to Dunning’s late-night offer from Texas, Center’s Johnny Shaw committed to TCU on Sunday, while Sulphur Springs’ Larry Pryor has received four offers in the last five days.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 – offers from Baylor, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — offer from Mississippi State (1)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-2, 310 – offers from Alabama, Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — offer from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, (6)
- Johnny Shaw, S, Center, 6-1, 185 – committed to TCU (1)