Top 25 Games of 2016: No. 3, Longview at Marshall
The oldest rivalry in East Texas is renewed when Longview travels to Marshall on Sept. 2 for their 106th meeting.
The Mavericks stunned the Lobos by defeating Longview for the first time since 2000 last season, and earned a piece of the district championship in the process.
This year's meeting checks in at No. 3 on ETSN.fm's list of the top 25 games of 2016.
Longview leads the all-time series, 58-42-5.
Following UIL realignment, which moved Longview up to Class 6A, the Lobos and Marshall are no longer district mates. While Marshall did snap a 14-game losing streak to its bitter rival, the Mavs have not defeated Longview in back-to-back seasons since 1995-96.
Longview was hit hard by graduation and has just four starters coming back from its 5A Division I state quarterfinalist team.
The Lobos do return a couple of standouts on either side of the ball in offensive lineman Kendall Starling and defensive back Traveion Webster.
Marshall, meanwhile, has 12 starters returning, including eight on the defensive end.
Cam Haller, who rushed for more than 1,800 yards in 2015, returns, as do talented junior offensive linemen Chasen Hines and Kameron King.
Defensively, Marshall will count on an experienced group that includes lineman Marje Smith, and defensive backs Tre Macon and Corteze Hurd.
ETSN.fm’s Top 25 Games of 2016
- No. 3: Longview at Marshall
- No. 4: Gilmer vs. Carthage
- No. 5: Gladewater at Gilmer
- No. 6: Rockwall at John Tyler
- No. 7: Texas High at Marshall
- No. 8: Van at Mineola
- No. 9: John Tyler vs. New Orleans Warren Easton
- No. 10: John Tyler at Longview
- No. 11: Lufkin at The Woodlands
- No. 12: Newton at Silsbee
- No. 13: Gilmer at Atlanta
- No. 14: John Tyler at Ennis
- No. 15: Center at Gilmer
- No. 16: Atlanta at Henderson
- No. 17: Dallas Christian at Tyler Grace
- No. 18: Carthage at Liberty-Eylau
- No. 19: Longview at Lufkin
- No. 20: Harmony vs. Waskom
- No. 21: Kilgore at Henderson
- No. 22: Gilmer at Nacogdoches
- No. 23: Liberty-Eylau at Texas High
- No. 24: Crockett at Newton
- No. 25: Gilmer vs. Liberty-Eylau