Top 25 Games of 2018: No. 6 Gilmer at Newton
It's a long way from Gilmer to Newton.
On Sept. 28, the Buckeyes will make the three-hour drive down Highway 96 to play the Eagles in a non-district game. The game matches two perennial powers from 4A and 3A against each other, and both teams are predicted to again have successful seasons.
Newton is loaded coming off of a 3A Division II state championship season. The Eagles return 17 starters, including two-way standout Tamauzia Brown and star running back Darwin Barlow. They, along with quarterback Josh Foster, will headline the offense. Defense end James Sylvester and linebacker Jadrian McGraw will be the stars on defense.
Gilmer is always a threat to compete. The Buckeyes are predicted by many pundits to win District 6-4A Division II after succumbing to Pleasant Grove a year ago. Running back Bran Webb returns after a 1,000-yard season and Tra Fluellen will play both sides as a receiver and defensive back. Defensive lineman Abel Euceda and offensive lineman Devon King will also be two players to keep an eye on.
This will be the first meeting between Gilmer and Newton since at least 2004, when MaxPreps started keep track of matchup history. Who knows when the teams will play again after this season, so this might be a game that is worth the drive for East Texas football fans.
ETSN.fm's Top 25 Games of 2018
- No. 6: Gilmer at Newton
- No. 7: Carthage at Marshall
- No. 8: Liberty-Eylau at Waco La Vega
- No. 9: Timpson at Tenaha
- No. 10: Carthage at Gilmer
- No. 11: John Tyler at Cedar Hill
- No. 12: Liberty-Eylau vs. Argyle
- No. 13: Kilgore at Carthage
- No. 14: West Rusk at Waskom
- No. 15: Silsbee at Newton
- No. 16: Pleasant Grove at Gilmer
- No. 17: Tatum at West Rusk
- No. 18: Liberty-Eylau at Pleasant Grove
- No. 19: Henderson at Kilgore
- No. 20: Jefferson at Mount Vernon
- No. 21: White Oak at West Rusk
- No. 22: Carthage at Liberty-Eylau
- No. 23: Van at Gilmer
- No. 24: Van at Pittsburg
- No. 25: Liberty-Eylau at Gilmer