Carthage’s Keaontay Ingram the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week
The Carthage Bulldogs shocked the Texas high school football world with a 55-48 upset of defending Class 4A Division I state champion Navasota last Friday night.
And while the contributions came from a variety of players, the X-factor may have been sophomore running back Keaontay Ingram, who helped Carthage rally from a second-half deficit.
Ingram finished the night with 198 yards and three touchdowns on 18 carries, earning ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week honors. He follows last week's winner, Lamon Hillis of Paul Pewitt.
With Carthage facing a 41-27 deficit midway through the third quarter, the Bulldogs turned to Ingram, who helped tie the game entering with fourth. He converted a fourth-and-1 with a 25-yard touchdown run to cut the Rattlers' lead to one score, and followed that with an 83-yard scoring burst that tied the game with 1:43 remaining in the third.
Ingram aided Carthage in running for a season-best 309 yards, which was crucial in keeping Navasota's record-setting offense off the field for long stretches.
Carthage has now knocked off two unbeatens in back-to-back weeks -- Navasota and Stafford. And Ingram, who had rushed for just 264 yards through 11 games, has totaled 365 yards and five touchdowns in his last two outings.
Ingram and the Bulldogs (10-3) look to keep it rolling this Friday night with a state quarterfinals clash with Silsbee (11-2). Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. from Tyler's TMF Rose Stadium.
ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Players of the Week
- Nov. 26-28: Keaontay Ingram, RB, Carthage
- Nov. 19-21: Lamon Hillis, RB, Paul Pewitt
- Nov. 12-14: Keenen Johnson, QB, Alto
- Nov. 5-7: J'Kardi Witcher, RB, Texas High
- Oct. 29-31: Case Robinson, Crockett
- Oct. 22-24: Jarod Blissett, QB, Carthage
- Oct. 15-17: Jeremiah Robertson, QB, Huntington
- Oct. 8-10: Nick Ballard, RB, West Rusk
- Oct. 1-3: Chance Amie, QB, Tyler Lee
- Sept. 24-26: Judah Bell, WR, Tyler Bishop Gorman
- Sept. 17-19: Cam Haller, RB, Marshall
- Sept. 10-12: Ke'Mon Freeman, QB, Liberty-Eylau
- Sept. 3-5: Kordell Rodgers, QB, Lufkin
- Aug. 27-29: Keenen Johnson, QB, Alto