East Texas 25: No. 11 Coltin Clack, QB, Texas High
It was a frustrating 2017 season to say the least for Texas High quarterback Coltin Clack.
Already armed with a handful of Division I scholarship offers, Clack was set for a breakout debut campaign as the varsity starter.
But a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder in the fifth game of the year against Marshall spelled the end of Clack’s junior season.
Then came the rehab.
“It was good,” said Clack of the road to recovery, which prevented him from picking up a ball for two months. “I just did little stuff every day that added up.”
Clack (6-3, 220) is understandably excited about the potential for a full senior season this fall.
“Super pumped,” he said. “Ready to get out there and ball with my teammates.”
The Tigers’ quarterback checks in at No. 11 on ETSN.fm’s East Texas 25, a list of the area’s top recruits in the 2019 class.
Clack committed to Arkansas State earlier this month, and for him, the decision couldn’t have been easier.
“(I liked) how genuine all the coaches were on my visit,” Clack said. “They were open and honest about everything we talked about.”
Clack also had FBS offers from Akron, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana-Lafayette, New Mexico State, SMU, Southern Miss, and UTSA.
Arkansas State appears to be an ideal fit for Clack.
“The depth chart is perfect for an incoming QB,” he said. “And they are the winningest program in the Sun Belt Conference. It was really a no-brainer.”
Arkansas State was 7-5 overall and 6-2 in league play last season, and since 2011 the Red Wolves sport a 46-9 record in the Sun Belt.
Clack is also open and honest about his strengths and weaknesses.
“(My strengths are) accuracy and toughness,” he said.
When asked about what needed to improve upon, the response was direct: “Everything. There’s always room for improvement.”
East Texas 25 Class of 2019
- No. 25 DeKendrick Bender, Marshall, WR, 6-2, 185
- No. 24 Jawan King, Atlanta, RB, 5-10, 213
- No. 23 Eric Gipson, Jefferson, OLB/S, 6-1, 195
- No. 22 T.K. Hamilton, Waskom, ATH, 5-10, 166
- No. 21 Caiden Walker, Newton, OL, 6-5, 285
- No. 20 Tahj Washington, Marshall, WR, 5-11, 165
- No. 19 Robbie Williams, Chapel Hill, WR, 6-3, 195
- No. 18 Breylon Garcia, Lufkin, DE, 6-4, 215
- No. 17 Chance Billington, John Tyler, OL, 6-3, 300
- No. 16 Keivie Rose, Henderson, DE, 6-3, 240
- No. 15 Deshawn McCuin, Jacksonville, DB, 5-11, 180
- No. 14 Cameron Cantrell, Whitehouse, WR, 6-1, 180
- No. 13 Javasia Brunson, Lufkin, DE, 6-3, 235
- No. 12 Marcus Williams, Longview, OL, 6-5, 285