PREVIEW: Arp + Waskom Clash to Open District Play
DISTRICT 9-3A Division II
Arp Tigers (1-2)
Waskom Wildcats (1-3)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Wildcat Stadium, Waskom
- Arp: Dale Irwin
- Waskom: Whitney Keeling
- Arp: BYE
- Waskom: lost to Tyler Bishop Gorman, 56-38
- Arp: vs. Elysian Fields, Oct. 6
- Waskom: BYE
- WR/DB DeMarvion Overshown, Sr., 6-4, 200 ( committed to Texas)
- RB/LB Demontrae Wade, Sr., 6-0, 206
- OL/DL Blake Hays, Jr., 6-2, 285
- WR/DB Tren Jones, Soph., 6-2, 160
- QB/LB Dakota Shores, Sr., 6-0, 180
- OL/DL Kennard Williams, Sr., 5-8, 215
- QB/LB Logan Shuttlesworth, Jr., 6-0, 170
- RB/DB Caleb Wright, Jr., 5-9, 175
- QB Ty Carter, Sr., 6-0, 185
- RB T.K. Hamilton, Jr., 5-11, 155
- OL Jack Smith, Sr., 6-3, 325
- RB/LB Chris Stafford, Jr., 5-8, 155
- WR/DB K.T. Ceaser, Sr.
- RB/DB Da'lyn Hill, Jr., 5-8, 155
- OL/DL Isaac Irving, Jr., 6-0, 180
- OL Christian Smith, Sr., 5-11, 299
Just the facts
- Arp's DeMarvion Overshown is the top-ranked prospect in East Texas for 2018. He is the 75th-best prospect in the country according to ESPN.
- Arp is allowing only 19 points per contest, but isn't generating much in the way of offense with just 14 points per game.
- Waskom will likely lean on its rushing attack, headed by senior T.K. Hamilton.
- The Wildcats have given up 98 points in their past two games.
- Since 2006, the series is an even 3-3.
- Arp won 2016's matchup, 27-7.
Key matchup: Waskom run game against the Arp defense. We've already established that Arp is a good defensive team and Waskom likes the run the ball. Therefore, it's no secret what this game will come down to.
Can Arp stop Waskom's ground attack?
In the Wildcats' lone victory this season, Hamilton had five touchdowns. But Arp won't be easy to run on. Overshown is obviously talented, but Dakota Shores and Logan Shuttlesworth will also be factors in this one.
It's a toss up as to which side has the edge here, which should make for an interesting and close matchup.
Don't be surprised if: Demarion Overshown scores a lot. Of Arp's seven touchdowns this season, Overshown has accounted for five.
His ability to score in a variety of ways makes him even more of a threat. Overshown has scored on rushing, receiving, special teams and defensive plays this season. If Arp is going to have a chance in this game -- and it should -- then Overshown is going to be a big factor.
Expect multiple touchdowns from the standout committed to Texas.