PREVIEW: Jefferson + Mount Vernon Meet in District Clash
DISTRICT 7-3A Division I
Jefferson Bulldogs (6-0, 2-0)
Mount Vernon Tigers (4-1, 1-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Don Meredith Stadium, Mount Vernon
- Jefferson: Antwain Jimmerson
- Mount Vernon: Josh Finney
- Jefferson: def. Hughes Springs, 41-7
- Mount Vernon: idle
- Jefferson: idle
- Mount Vernon: at Atlanta, Oct. 19
Players to watch
- WR T.Q. Jackson, Sr., 6-3, 185 (13 catches, 386 yards, 4 TDs)
- DL Eric Gipson, Sr., 6-2, 205 (45 tackles, 13 for loss, 9 sacks, 12 QB hurries, 1 forced fumble)
- WR/DB Trace Smith, Sr., 6-4, 190 (1 catch, 49 yards; 37 tackles, 5 for loss, 3 QB hurries, 3 PBUs, 1 INT, 1 blocked punt)
- QB/LB Trey Hodge, Sr., 6-3, 218 (9-of-15, 214 yards, TD; 6 carries, 32 yards, 2 TDs;
- DL/OL Jacari Mosley, Sr. (30 tackles, 5 for loss, 3 sacks, 4 QB hurries, PBU)
- ATH Kylan Thomas, Jr., 5-11, 188 (23-of-38, 469 yards, 3 TDs; 45 carries, 628 yards, 8 TDs; 4 catches, 70 yards; 4 tackles, 1 for loss, 1 PBU)
- K/P Landon Fuquay, Jr. (26-of-33 PATs; 8-of-9 FGs)
- FB/LB Maurice Williams, Sr., 5-6, 151 (32 tackles, 4 for loss, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble)
- RB/DB Dee Black, Jr. (60 carries, 851 yards, 13 TDs; 4 catches, 43 yards; 23 tackles, 1 QB hurry, 2 PBUs)
- RB/DB Tybo Williams, Sr., 5-8, 165 (12 carries, 148 yards, TD)
- LB Brennan Varnell, Sr., 5-10, 187 (84 tackles, 1 for loss, 1 sacks, 1 fumble recovery)
- LB Kannon Glover, Sr., 6-1 (83 tackles, 7 for loss, 2 PBUs)
- QB/DB Kason Pletcher, Sr., 6-2, 185
- OL/DL Daniel Arnold, Sr., 5-9, 180
- DL/TE Braden Bolin, Sr.
- FB Adolfo Rodriguez, Sr., 5-11, 210
- OL/DL Kristian Ramirez, Sr.
- OL Landon Wallace, Sr.
- DB Kedris Chandler, Jr., 5-10, 160
- LB Nathan Smith
- RB/C Cade Hyman, Sr.
Just the facts
- Since 1990, Jefferson is 4-0 against Mount Vernon.
- Jefferson is averaging 452.1 yards per game (113.3 passing and 338.3 rushing).
- Jefferson receiver T.Q. Jackson is averaging 29.7 yards per catch.
- Bulldog defensive lineman Eric Gipson's nine sacks are the most of any player in East Texas.
- Mount Vernon is averaging 32 points per game and giving up 15.2.
- The Tigers' only loss this season came to Canton by a single point, 29-28.
- Mount Vernon finished 11-1 this past season, its first winning season since 2012.
Key matchup: Jefferson receivers against the Mount Vernon defensive backs. T.Q. Jackson is one of the better receivers in the state, and an Arkansas commit. He got some help as quarterback Trey Hodge returned from a shoulder injury in Week 6. Jackson caught two passes for 66 yards in Hodge's return. Kylan Thomas, who was playing in Hodge's place, will likely move back to receiver. He and Trace Smith round out a solid trio of options for Hodge.
Mount Vernon will need to defend the pass well if it hopes to have a shot in this game. The Tigers will need big games from Kason Pletcher and Cedric Chandler, but keeping the Jefferson playmakers in check is no easy task. Look for the Bulldogs to have plenty of opportunities to make big plays Friday.
Don't be surprised if: Eric Gipson is extremely disruptive to Mount Vernon's offense. Gipson has been Jefferson's leader on defense thus far.
Although he typically terrorizes opposing quarterbacks, he won't get many chances to do so this week. Mount Vernon tends to trend toward the run on offense. Gipson has 13 tackles for loss and should have no trouble getting into the backfield in this game. He is a Division I prospect who holds offers from Texas State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, McNeese State and others. Expect another big game from him Friday.