PREVIEW: Tyler Lee + John Tyler Each Seeking to Avoid 0-2 Starts
John Tyler Lions (0-1)
Tyler Lee Red Raiders (0-1)
7 p.m. Saturday
CHRISTUS TMF Rose Stadium, Tyler
- John Tyler: Ricklan Holmes
- Lee: Kurt Traylor
- John Tyler: lost to Cedar Hill, 57-7
- Lee: lost to Marshall, 42-29
- John Tyler: at Longview, Sept. 14
- Lee: at Nacogdoches, Sept. 14
Players to watch
- WR Ke'Andre Street, Sr., 6-4, 195 (4 catches, 64 yards; committed to Houston)
- OL Chance Billington, Sr., 6-4, 275 (committed to Louisiana-Monroe)
- RB Rod Hawkins, Sr., 5-8, 190 (12 carries, 41 yards; 1 catch, 6 yards)
- QB X'avier Allen, Sr., 6-0, 190 (7 of 12, 178 yards, TD, INT)
- WR Nathaniel Hall, Jr., 5-7, 150 (2 catches, 92 yards, TD)
- DL Ja'Bralen Yarber, Sr., 6-1, 280 (4 tackles, 1 QB pressure)
- LB Tyrell Jones, Sr., 5-11, 220 (7 tackles)
- DB Roy Lampton, Sr., 6-1, 170 (6 tackles)
- WR Zaylon Walker, Sr., 6-1, 160 (6 catches, 177 yards, TD)
- RB Jamar Arceneuax, Jr. (12 carries, 104 yards, TD)
- OL Beaux Limmer, Sr., 6-5, 270 (committed to Arkansas)
- DB/DE Jamal Ligon, Jr., 6-2, 240
- QB Mark Patton, Jr., 6-5, 215 (13 of 31, 273 yards, 2 TDs)
- WR/DB Te'vion Massey, Jr. (3 catches, 81 yards, TD)
- RB Jamarion Miller, Fr. (7 carries, 19 yards; 1 catch, 8 yards)
- WR Malik Hall, Sr., 5-11, 170
Just the facts
- This is the 63rd all-time meeting between John Tyler and Tyler Lee. John Tyler leads the series, 32-29-1.
- Since 2009, John Tyler's overall record is 91-29, while Lee is 32-63. However, Lee holds a 5-4 series edge over JT during that span.
- John Tyler was limited to 198 total yards of offense in last week's loss to Cedar Hill, including minus-24 rushing.
- All six of Cedar Hill's offensive touchdowns last week covered at least 26 yards.
- Last week's 57-7 loss to Cedar Hill was John Tyler's worst defeat since a 66-12 loss to DeSoto in 2007.
- Tyler Lee put up 434 yards of offense in last week's loss to Marshall -- 273 passing and 161 rushing.
- The Red Raiders allowed six touchdowns of 25 yards or more last week.
- Lee did not turn the ball over and committed just four penalties in Week 1.
Key matchup: Tyler Lee passing attack vs. John Tyler secondary. Despite suffering a season-opening loss, the Red Raiders offense performed well. Lee actually outgained Marshall on the night, and the debut of junior quarterback Mark Patton was mostly positive. Patton passed for 273 yards and a pair of touchdowns, including a 96-yarder to speedy senior receiver Zaylon Walker. Lee starting running back Ladarius Wickware suffered an ankle injury in the first quarter and did not return, and his availability for Saturday's game is unclear. Lee has some depth at that spot with Jamar Arceneaux, Jordan Printers, and Jamarion Miller capable of sharing the load, but the Red Raiders' big-play capability in the passing game could be a problem for John Tyler.
The Lions were overmatched in all aspects of their 50-point loss to Cedar Hill last week. John Tyler was limited to less than 200 yards of offense, but it was on defense where it was especially exposed. The Lions surrendered 243 yards on just nine passing completions, an average of 27 yards per reception. Furthermore, Cedar Hill scored on touchdown passes for 80 and 53 yards, evidence of John Tyler's struggles in the secondary. Big plays in the passing game cannot occur with the same regularity this week if the Lions hope to knock off their crosstown rival.
Don't be surprised if: John Tyler puts forth a much better effort this week. The Lions haven't been beaten like they were in Week 1 in more than a decade, and pride is a powerful motivator in the world of sports. Add to that, Saturday's game comes against John Tyler's biggest rival with city bragging rights on the line. JT lost to Lee in last season's regular-season finale, which added insult to injury as the Lions missed the playoffs for the first time since 2007. Both JT and Lee suffered significant injuries in Week 1, as Lions starting quarterback Devlen Woods and Lee's top running back Wickware missed most of last week's games. How each team handles the setbacks will have quite a bit to say about which Rose City school is victorious in the 63rd installment of the series.