PREVIEW: Unbeaten Carlisle Runs Into Joaquin in Area Round
CLASS 2A DIVISION I
Region III Area Playoff
Carlisle Indians (11-0)
Joaquin Rams (9-2)
7 p.m. Friday
Bulldog Stadium, Carthage
- Carlisle: Clay Baker
- Joaquin: Wade Lawson
- Carlisle: def. Cayuga, 56-6
- Joaquin: def. West Sabine, 42-0
- Winner vs. Centerville or Tenaha, 2A Division I regional semifinal
Players to watch
- ATH Gerald Turner, Sr., 5-11 (79-of-134, 1,365 yards, 16 TDs, 4 INTs; 112 carries, 1,228 yards, 27 TDs; 39 tackles, 3 INTs, 3 PBUs, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 defensive TDs)
- WR/DB Jay Price, Sr. (45 catches, 841 yards, 8 TDs; 33 tackles, 4 for loss, 2 INTs, 4 PBUs)
- LB/OL Walker Adams, Sr. (134 tackles, 20 for loss, 2 sacks, 1 INT, 3 PBUs, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries)
- RB/DB Jamion Turner, So. (86 carries, 868 yards, 20 TDs; 65 tackles, 18 for loss, 9 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 recovery)
- WR Trey Rutherford (12 catches, 175 yards, 4 TDs)
- DL Louie Garza, Jr. (69 tackles, 23 for loss, 8 sacks, 9 QB pressures, 2 forced fumbles, 4 recoveries)
- RB/CB Hunter Gates, Sr., 5-8, 140 (137 carries, 1,151 yards, 9 TDs; 4 catches, 154 yards
- QB/LB Trenton Ramsey, Sr. (14-for-23, 376 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT; 29 carries, 119 yards, 3 TDs; 69 tackles, 2 PBUs, 1 fumble recovery)
- FB/OLB Joseph Tarver, Sr., 5-4, 140 (78 carries, 762 yards, 6 TDs; 36 tackles, 2 for loss, 3 INTs, 1 forced fumble)
- RB/LB Tre Burns, Sr., 5-9, 170 (40 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 fumble recovery; 14 carries, 71 yards, 1 TD
- LB Lorenzo Lane, Jr., 6-1, 180 (71 tackles, 7 for loss, 4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles)
- FB Ian Shahan, Jr., 5-9, 186 (63 carries, 312 yards, 10 TDs; 39 tackles, 1 for loss, 2 sacks, 3 fumble recoveries)
- TB/DB Connor Bragg, Jr., 5-10, 155 (118 carries, 1,363 yards, 12 TDs; 4 catches, 93 yards, 2 TDs)
Just the facts
- Since 2004, Joaquin leads the series 6-3. The Rams won the most recent contest, 26-23 in 2017.
- Carlisle is averaging 359.6 yards per game (235.5 rushing and 124.1 passing).
- Indians athlete Gerald Turner has scored 43 of Carlisle's 75 offensive touchdowns (57 percent).
- Carlisle's Louie Garza and Jamion Turner have combined for 17 sacks this season, an average of 1.5 per game.
- Joaquin is averaging 420.5 yards per game (36.9 passing and 383.6 rushing).
- Rams running backs Hunter Gates and Connor Bragg are averaging a combined 228.5 yards per game.
- Joaquin has attempted only 24 passes all season, just more than two per game.
Key matchup: Joaquin's rushing offense against Carlisle's defense. The Rams are not coy about their offensive game plan. They like to run the ball. A lot. More than 90 percent of their offensive yards have come on the ground this season. The tandem of Connor Bragg and Hunter Gates have led the way, combining for 2,514 yards and 21 touchdowns. This style of offense allows Joaquin to control the clock, something it will want to do against Carlisle's offense. The less opportunities Gerald Turner and company have to score, the better.
Carlisle's defense appears to be up to the task. Louie Garza, Walker Adams and Jamion Turner have combined for 61 tackles for loss this season, an average of 5.5 per game. Their ability to get to the backfield will be crucial against this run-heavy offense. If Carlisle can force the Rams to punt a few times and not allow them to control time of possession, the Indians should be a safe bet to move on to the next round.
Don't be surprised if: Gerald Turner leads the Indians offense. Turner has been a factor all season for Carlisle, with 43 total touchdowns. The quarterback, he is dangerous because he can make plays on the ground and through the air, with more than 1,000 yards rushing and passing. Keeping him in check is no easy task and Joaquin will be hard pressed to keep him entirely out of the picture. Look for a couple of big plays and another solid performance from Turner.