SMU First to Offer Jefferson’s T.Q. Jackson
Jefferson wide receiver T.Q. Jackson put up big numbers in 2016 as a sophomore, then impressed everyone in attendance at the fifth annual ETSN Combine at APEC in Tyler over the weekend.
And on Wednesday, the first of what could many schools took note.
SMU became the first Division I FBS program to offer Jackson, he announced on Twitter.
Jackson (6-2, 175) is now the seventh member of East Texas' 2019 recruiting class with at least one FBS offer, and the sixth to be targeted by SMU.
Last season, Jackson caught 41 passes for 1,099 yards and 14 touchdowns. Averaging almost 27 yards per reception, Jackson routinely burned opposing defenses.
The Bulldogs finished 9-3 in 2016, winning District 8-3A Division I with a perfect 5-0 record.
Jackson took home wide receiver MVP honors at Sunday's ETSN Combine. He tied Nacogdoches defensive back DaRyan Williams for the fasted laser-timed 40-yard dash at 4.47 seconds, had a broad jump of 115.5 inches, and was among the most impressive on the field during skill work.
SMU will begin its third season with head coach Chad Morris this fall.
The Mustangs went 5-7 last season and simply needed to win one of their final two games to achieve bowl eligibility. While they didn’t accomplish a bowl appearance, the season was a three-win improvement compared to Morris’ first year and a four-win improvement versus the 2014 season.
While visiting Longview for a coaching clinic in January, Morris told ETSN.fm that he thinks his 2017 team will be the first of his tenure to compete for the American Athletic Conference championship.
Jackson will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in December of 2018.
2019 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jade Ashalintubbi, Elysian Fields, OL, 6-6, 331 —offers from Tulsa, ULM (2)
- Chance Billington, John Tyler, OL, 6-4, 275 — offer from SMU (1)
- Keontae Burns, Pittsburg, WR, 6-3, 175 — offers from Iowa State, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss (4)
- Coltin Clack, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 215 — offer from Florida Atlantic, SMU (2)
- T.Q. Jackson, Jefferson, WR, 6-2, 175 -- offer from SMU (1)
- Keivie Rose, Henderson, DE, 6-4, 220 — offers from Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, SMU, Tulane (4)
- Carl Williams, Lufkin, DT, 6-3, 275 — offers from SMU, TCU, Tulsa (3)