Tatum Linebacker D’Torian Smith Gets Offer From ULM
D'Torian Smith received his second offer in a two-day span Wednesday from Louisiana-Monroe.
The Tatum linebacker, who now has four Division I offers overall, announced the Warhawks program's offer through his personal Twitter account. He holds additional invitations from Air Force and UTEP on the FBS level as well as an opportunity from FCS competitor Lamar.
First-year head coach Matt Viator and his staff have been extremely active in the East Texas region. Smith (6-3, 225) is the the 11th local prospect ULM has identified as it works to build its 2017 recruiting class.
The Warhawks reached out to six local players in the Class of 2016 and did not land any of the prospects.
ULM's most recent pickup from the region was Canton defensive end Samuel Miller. He redshirted last season as the program floundered to a 2-11 record under former coach Todd Berry and subsequently interim coach John Mumford following a 1-9 start.
Berry and company were granted an extra regular season contest by the NCAA as a reward for playing Hawaii on the road in a non-conference game.
Viator joined the program off a successful 10-year stint as the head coach at McNeese State. He won four Southland Conference titles during the span and took his former program to five FCS postseason tournaments, including last year.
Viator inherited a program that most recently made a bowl appearance in 2012.
Smith was a bright spot for a winless Tatum team last season.
Tatum athletic director and head football coach Andy Evans retired from his coaching duties after the year concluded. Evans, who won two state championships and made a third title game appearance in 12 years at the school, will be an assistant athletic director going forward.
Craig Barker, formerly Kaufman’s head coach, was hired to replace Evans in February. Barker led Kaufman to the District 8-4A Division I championship last season and a third round playoff appearance.
Tatum was realigned to District 8-4A Division II in February. Its league is rounded out by Diboll, Huntington, Jasper and Rusk.
Smith, like all high school football prospects about to enter their senior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him on Feb. 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tristan Allen, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 206 -- offer from UTEP (1)
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-1, 216 — offers from Air Force, Army (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Texas A&M, Tulsa (18)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offers from ULM, Wyoming (2)
- Tre Gatlin, Carthage, DE, 6-6, 210 —offer from Wyoming (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offers from Louisiana Tech, ULM (2)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (11)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Cade Pearson, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 193 — offer from Wyoming (1)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-1, 177 — offers from Memphis, Navy (2)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (16)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, LB, 6-3, 225 — offers from Air Force, ULM, UTEP (3)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas Tech (13)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, North Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (21)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)