Carthage’s Jarod Blissett is the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week
The Carthage Bulldogs will be playing for their fifth state championship game appearance this Friday night, and senior quarterback Jarod Blissett is the biggest reason why.
Blissett, the driving force behind Carthage's offense all season long, managed to etch his name atop the school's single-season record book after a dazzling performance in his team's 56-40 quarterfinal win over Silsbee last Friday.
The Dawgs' signal-caller broke his own school record with 435 passing yards and tossed a record-trying six touchdown passes to claim ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week honors. He follows last week's winner, sophomore running back and Carthage teammate Keaontay Ingram.
Blissett, who set the previous mark in the 2015 season opener against Hallsville with 430 yards, completed 23 of 35 attempts vs. Silsbee and had touchdown passes covering 63, 13, 23, 8, 60, and 23 yards.
His passing production was needed, especially after Ingram injured his ankle on the Bulldogs' first series and never returned.
For the season, Blissett has completed 254 of 419 attempts (60.6 percent) for 3,872 yards with 41 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He needs 132 more yards to pass Blake Bogenschutz for Carthage's single-season mark, set in 2013.
Blissett will go for the record in the hopes of leading his team to the Class 4A Division I state title game when the Bulldogs (11-3) meet Waco La Vega (14-0) in the semifinals. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Friday from Garland's Homer B. Johnson Stadium.
The winner will play the winner between Abilene Wylie (12-2) and Argyle (13-1) for the title at noon Friday, Dec. 18, from Houston's NRG Stadium.
ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Players of the Week
- Dec. 3-5: Jarod Blissett, QB, Carthage
- Nov. 26-28: Keaontay Ingram, RB, Carthage
- Nov. 19-21: Lamon Hillis, QB, Paul Pewitt
- Nov. 12-14: Keenen Johnson, QB, Alto
- Nov. 5-7: J'Kardi Witcher, RB, Texas High
- Oct. 29-31: Case Robinson, QB, Crockett
- Oct. 22-24: Jarod Blissett, QB, Carthage
- Oct. 15-17: Jeremiah Robertson, RB, Huntington
- Oct. 8-10: Nick Ballard, RB, West Rusk
- Oct. 1-3: Chance Amie, QB, Tyler Lee
- Sept. 24-26: Judah Bell, WR, Tyler Bishop Gorman
- Sept. 17-19: Cam Haller, RB, Marshall
- Sept. 10-12: Ke'Mon Freeman, QB, Liberty-Eylau
- Sept. 3-5: Kordell Rodgers, QB, Lufkin
- Aug. 27-29: Keenen Johnson, QB, Alto