Longview’s Laurent Johnson is the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week
Longview's trio of senior safeties -- Travin Howard, Laurent Johnson, and Stephan Maxey -- have made plays all year and formed the backbone of the Lobo defense.
Saturday's Class 5A Division II Region II bi-district playoff against Rowlett in Dallas was no different.
Johnson and Howard spearheaded a Longview defense that forced six turnovers, five of which they were directly responsible for, in the Lobos' 46-21 first-round triumph.
Johnson recorded 18 tackles, picked off one pass, forced a fumble, and recovered two fumbles, one of which he returned 18 yards for a touchdown. For his huge playoff performance, Johnson is the ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week.
The 5-foot-8, 160-pound safety enters Saturday's 4 p.m. 5A D-II Region II area playoff against McKinney Boyd with a team-high 99 tackles, plus four interceptions, one forced fumble, and three fumble recoveries.
Howard also had a huge game this past Saturday. The 6-foot, 178-pounder had seven tackles and picked off two passes, including one he returned 43 yards for a touchdown. Howard enters Saturday's second-round playoff with 72 tackles, seven tackles for loss, a team-high seven interceptions, three forced fumbles, eight pass breakups, one punt block, and three defensive touchdowns. Howard has also returned two punts for scores.
The 5-foot-11, 186-pound Maxey is second on the team with 82 tackles. He also has two picks, a fumble recovery, a punt block, and one defensive touchdown.
Saturday's 25-point win saw Longview's defensive front excel as well. Junior linebacker Jaylon Jackson had 13 tackles and a fumble recovery, while standout senior defensive tackle Zaycoven Henderson added five tackles, two for loss. Junior lineman Trey Lanier had seven tackles and a sack. Senior end DeRodrick Alexander had four tackles and a sack.
Longview held Rowlett to 48 yards on 29 rushes in the win.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen 2013 Defensive Players of the Week
- Week 11 -- Laurent Johnson, Sr., S, Longview
- Week 10 — LaDarrin Anthony, Sr., DL, Kilgore
- Week 9 — Garrett Barton, Sr., RB/LB, New Diana
- Week 8 — Kane Sampson, Sr., LB, Hughes Springs
- Week 7 — Kelshin Neal, Sr., DT, Daingerfield
- Week 6 — Anthony Hadnot, Sr., LB, Newton
- Week 5 — Evan Morris, Sr., LB, Frankston
- Week 4 — Klifton Willis, Sr., S, Tatum
- Week 3 — LaDarrin Anthony, Sr., DL, Kilgore
- Week 2 — Brandon Jones, Soph., S, Nacogdoches
- Week 1 — Klifton Willis, Sr., S, Tatum
- Zero Week — DeAndre Robertson, Sr., LB, Lufkin