West Rusk’s Kevin Jones Wins Defensive Player Of The Week
Week 8 of the East Texas football season was an incredibly strong one for individual defenders.
But, even then, Kevin Jones' numbers were in their own realm. The West Rusk junior safety recorded three interceptions in a five-point win Friday against Elysian Fields. He took away three Elysian Fields chances to score in the narrow game.
Jones is the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week.
West Rusk has been racking up the ETSN.fm weekly accolades this season. Running back Nick Ballard was the offensive winner last week and linebacker Joe Wright won the defensive honor after the third week of the season.
With the win Friday, the Raiders moved to 7-0 overall. The team was 1-6 this time last season.
Jones' three interceptions against Elysian Fields gave him seven on the season.
Other area coaches are still submitting their stats, but the safety probably leads all of East Texas in the catergory. He entered the game tied for first place with Elkhart's Johnathan Simmons and Mineola's Noah Sneed. Each had four interceptions through six games.
West Rusk has an enormous home game this week against Waskom, a team on a 22-game winning streak. The winner of the meeting will take full control of first place in District 8-3A Division II while the loser will most likely finish the season in second place.
The remaining six teams in the league all have at least two losses with three games remaining in the regular season.
Jones and company will have to play their best defensive game of the campaign. Waskom is averaging a district-best 47.4 points per game.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Defensive Players of the Week
- Week 8 (Oct. 15-Oct. 17) -- Kevin Jones, DB, West Rusk
- Week 7 (Oct. 8-Oct. 10) -- Devon Goguen, DL, Mineola
- Week 6 (Oct. 1-Oct. 3) -- Chase Boyd, LB, Winona
- Week 5 (Sept. 24-Sept. 26) -- Pierre Leonard, DL, John Tyler
- Week 4 (Sept. 17-Sept. 19) -- Noah Sneed, DB, Mineola
- Week 3 (Sept. 10-Sept. 12) -- Joe Wright, LB, West Rusk
- Week 2 (Sept. 3-Sept. 5) -- Brewster Griffith, LB, Carthage
- Week 1 (Aug. 27-Aug. 29) -- Ameron Dean, DB, Longview