Mineola’s Trevor Keener Wins ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player Of The Week
Mineola's defense played an excellent game to vault the Yellowjackets to a 14-7 win against Pottsboro and into Friday's Class 3A Division I state semifinal showdown with Shallowater.
With Pottsboro knocking on the door for a tie -- or even a win with a subsequent two-point conversion -- linebacker Juan Vargas came up with the interception of a lifetime to seal Mineola's first trip to a fifth round playoff game ever. He also recorded a game-best 22 tackles.
But the Yellowjackets could not have been in that late game position without their key senior defensive tackle.
Mineola's Trevor Keener is the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week with 18 tackles, including two stops on fourth down that prevented Pottsboro from extending its halftime lead beyond 7-0.
Already up a touchdown after a long first possession score, Pottsboro faced 4th-and-1 at the Mineola 10-yard line. Keener (6-4, 260) led a push that swallowed fullback Patton Lyons in the backfield.
The Yellowjackets stalled for the third consecutive drive and Pottsboro made it back to the opposing 29-yard line midway through the second quarter. Keener sacked quarterback Zach Prichett for a loss of two yards on 4th-and-10.
Keener and company kept pushing while their offense sputtered for two first downs and 59 yards through the first half.
Pottsboro got down to the Mineola 1-yard line with 21 seconds left in the frame. A fumble on 3rd-and-goal bailed the Yellowjackets out of that situation.
Pottsboro got four possessions in the second half. Keener helped force back-to-back punts, Pottsboro lost a fumble at the 1-yard line again and Vargas got that game-clinching interception.
Keener will have to bring it again Friday at Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood. Shallowater has a solid offense led by running back Cooper Ogle, a player who broke 1,600 yards to end the regular season, and quarterback Chris Contreras thrives when he can run outside of the offensive tackles.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Defensive Players of the Week
- Week 15 (Dec. 4-6) -- Trevor Keener, DT, Mineola
- Week 14 (Nov. 27-30) -- Tanner Holmes, LB, Newton
- Week 13 (Nov. 20-22) -- Chan Amie, LB, Waskom
- Week 12 (Nov. 14-16) -- Jordan Owens, DB, John Tyler
- Week 11 (Nov. 6-8) -- Travon Fuller, DB, Athens
- Week 10 (Oct. 30-Nov. 1) -- Brazos Hesskew, LB, Canton
- Week 9 (Oct. 23-25) -- Roney Elam, DB, Newton
- Week 8 (Oct. 16-18) -- Jacob Smith, LB, Pleasant Grove
- Week 7 (Oct. 9-11) -- Johnny Spitzer, DB, Tyler Grace Community
- Week 6 (Oct. 2-4) -- Pierre Leonard, DT, John Tyler
- Week 5 (Sept. 25-27) -- Jaylon Lane, DB, Nacogdoches
- Week 4 (Sept. 18-20) -- Hunter Redmond, LB, Van
- Week 3 (Sept. 11-13) — Kybrin Sheridan, DE, Longview
- Week 2 (Sept. 4-6) — Cody Melton, DB, Alba-Golden
- Week 1 (Aug. 28-30) — Bryston Gipson, DB, John Tyler