Spring Hill’s Breylan Bradford Wins ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player Of The Week
Don't count out Spring Hill just yet.
Senior defensive tackle Breylan Bradford helped keep the Panthers' postseason hopes alive with 11 tackles, including three for loss, in a 30-27 win Saturday against Tatum for the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week honor.
The District 6-4A Division II game was the first of a three-game last gasp for either Spring Hill or Tatum. Both teams entered the game winless, but both knew a head-to-head victory would promote the winner into sole possession of fifth place with two more games to play.
District 6-4A Division II's final top four teams in the standings will advance to the state playoffs.
Bradford helped the team rally from a 21-9 halftime deficit while the offense came alive and capped the game on an extra possession that started with an onside kick recovery with less than 70 seconds to play.
Spring Hill still faces an uphill battle to reach the playoffs with first-year head coach Kelly Mercer. However, the remaining schedule works in its favor. The Panthers' final two opponents, Gladewater and Atlanta, only have a one-game advantage in the standings while Center sits atop the district with a 3-0 league record.
Atlanta visits Tatum this week. If Tatum can upset Atlanta at home -- and if Spring Hill can defeat both Gladewater and Atlanta in consecutive weeks -- the Panthers will make the playoffs.
Bradford and company need to be up for the challenge once again. Both remaining opponents have punishing rushing attacks.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Defensive Players of the Week
- Week 9 (Oct. 22-Oct. 26) -- Breylan Bradford, DL, Spring Hill
- Week 8 (Oct. 15-Oct. 17) -- Kevin Jones, DB, West Rusk
- Week 7 (Oct. 8-Oct. 10) -- Devon Goguen, DL, Mineola
- Week 6 (Oct. 1-Oct. 3) -- Chase Boyd, LB, Winona
- Week 5 (Sept. 24-Sept. 26) -- Pierre Leonard, DL, John Tyler
- Week 4 (Sept. 17-Sept. 19) -- Noah Sneed, DB, Mineola
- Week 3 (Sept. 10-Sept. 12) -- Joe Wright, LB, West Rusk
- Week 2 (Sept. 3-Sept. 5) -- Brewster Griffith, LB, Carthage
- Week 1 (Aug. 27-Aug. 29) -- Ameron Dean, DB, Longview