Top 25 Games of 2018: No. 2 Lufkin at College Station
Lufkin's drop to 5A sets up one of the best matchups of 2018.
The Panthers find themselves in a district with College Station, the 5A Division II state champion from this past season.
After returning 12 starters from a regional final team, Lufkin is predicted by many pundits as a favorite to compete for the state championship in December. Its defense should be one of the best in the state, with its defensive line alone containing three players with FBS scholarships. The secondary looks stout, too, with the return of Jerrin Thompson and Demond McKelvey.
The offense shouldn't be bad either, with quarterback Kewone Thomas and receiver Ja'Lynn Polk both back.
College Station moves up to Division I, but shouldn't have many issues adjusting. The Cougars will also be solid on defense with linebacker Garrett Draper and defensive lineman Truce Tumlinson both back.
This one should shape up to be one of the best matchups in East Texas in 2018. It could also determine the District 8-5A D-I champion. Make sure you don't miss this Oct. 12 game.
ETSN.fm's Top 25 Games of 2018
- No. 2: Lufkin at College Station
- No. 3: Pleasant Grove at Carthage
- No. 4: Newton at West Orange-Stark
- No. 5: Carthage at Henderson
- No. 6: Gilmer at Newton
- No. 7: Carthage at Marshall
- No. 8: Liberty-Eylau at Waco La Vega
- No. 9: Timpson at Tenaha
- No. 10: Carthage at Gilmer
- No. 11: John Tyler at Cedar Hill
- No. 12: Liberty-Eylau vs. Argyle
- No. 13: Kilgore at Carthage
- No. 14: West Rusk at Waskom
- No. 15: Silsbee at Newton
- No. 16: Pleasant Grove at Gilmer
- No. 17: Tatum at West Rusk
- No. 18: Liberty-Eylau at Pleasant Grove
- No. 19: Henderson at Kilgore
- No. 20: Jefferson at Mount Vernon
- No. 21: White Oak at West Rusk
- No. 22: Carthage at Liberty-Eylau
- No. 23: Van at Gilmer
- No. 24: Van at Pittsburg
- No. 25: Liberty-Eylau at Gilmer