Tenaha’s Onterio Thompson the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week
It's hard to defend the Tenaha Tigers. While many will look at the combination of quarterback CJ Horn and receiver Trai Gardner as the catalyst for an explosive offense, there's been another player who's been about as consistent as it gets.
Tenaha senior running back Onterio Thompson delivered another stellar performance last week in the Tigers' 60-22 state semifinal rout of Burton, which has Tenaha one win from its third state championship.
Thompson carried 13 for 241 yards and four touchdowns last Thursday. For his efforts, Thompson is the ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week. He follows last week's winner, San Augustine running back KJ Davis.
Almost all of Thompson's damage came in the second half, breaking open what was a 10-point game at halftime.
In the second half, Thompson ran for 224 yards. He only had 17 yards on his first six carries, but his next five attempts went for 198.
Thompson had scoring runs of 4, 56, 30, and 73 yards.
For the season, Thompson has rushed for 2,462 yards and 34 touchdowns.
Thompson and his Tenaha (15-0) teammates face Muenster (15-0) for the 2A Division II championship at 11 a.m. Thursday from AT&T Stadium in Arlington.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Offensive Players of the Week
- Week 16 (Dec. 14-16): Onterio Thompson, RB, Tenaha
- Week 15 (Dec. 7-9): KJ Davis, RB, San Augustine
- Week 14 (Nov. 30-Dec. 2): Gunner Capps, QB, Carthage
- Week 13 (Nov. 23-25): Lynn Freeney, RB, Henderson
- Week 12 (Nov. 16-18): Tybo Williams, RB, Jefferson
- Week 11 (Nov. 9-11): Andrew Samples, QB, Atlanta
- Week 10 (Nov. 2-4): Jayden Hicks, QB, Center
- Week 9 (Oct. 26-28): Tyler Gray, QB, Palestine
- Week 8 (Oct. 19-21): Haden Terry, QB, Groveton
- Week 7 (Oct. 12-14): Keaontay Ingram, RB, Carthage
- Week 6 (Oct. 5-7): C.J. Horn, QB, Tenaha
- Week 5 (Sept. 28-30): Aaron "Poppy" Brown, QB, Gilmer
- Week 4 (Sept. 21-23): Judd Miller, QB, Malakoff
- Week 3 (Sept. 14-16): Coltin Clack, QB, Texas High
- Week 2 (Sept. 7-14): Garrett Moseley, QB, Van
- Week 1 (Aug. 31-Sept. 2): Isaiah Haggerty, WR, Tyler Bishop Gorman