Lufkin’s Jerrin Thompson is the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week
Lufkin needed a good performance from its defense Saturday if it wanted to advance.
It got just enough. With the help of Jerrin Thompson, who finished with five tackles, one for loss, two PBUs and an interception in the Panthers 14-11 victory against Spring Westfield, Lufkin advanced.
That set up a matchup with rival Longview in the regional final game. For his efforts, Thompson is the defensive player of the week, following West Rusk's Tyree Wilson, who won the award in Week 13.
The interception was his fourth this far this season and he increased his PBUs to seven.
The Panthers will face Longview at 2 p.m. Saturday at Bryce Stadium in Nacogdoches.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Defensive Players of the Week
- Week 14 (Nov. 30-Dec. 2): Jerrin Thompson, DB, Lufkin
- Week 13 (Nov. 23-25): Tyree Wilson, LB, West Rusk
- Week 12 (Nov. 16-18): Gerald Turner, DB, Carlisle
- Week 11 (Nov. 9-11): Demorrea Richardson, DL, Kilgore
- Week 10 (Nov. 2-4): Cade Fant, LB, New Boston
- Week 9 (Oct. 26-28): Jalen Carr, DB, Longview
- Week 8 (Oct. 19-21): Corbin Foster, LB, Newton
- Week 7 (Oct. 12-14): Kase Yates, DB, Joaquin
- Week 6 (Oct. 5-7): Josh Williams, DB, Palestine
- Week 5 (Sept. 28-30): Eric Gipson, DL, Jefferson
- Week 4 (Sept. 21-23): Nick Hoelscher, LB, Harmony
- Week 3 (Sept. 14-16): Jacorey Ware, DB, Carthage
- Week 2 (Sept. 7-14): Ty Patterson, DB, Linden-Kildare
- Week 1 (Aug. 31-Sept. 2): Elijah Trest, DL, White Oak