John Tyler’s Geovari McCollister Is The ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Offensive Player Of The Week
John Tyler senior quarterback Geovari McCollister is apparently saving his best for last. A career performance in last week's state quarterfinal-playoff win has the Lions one win from playing for a state championship.
In a game filled with offensive stars for John Tyler, McCollister (6-3, 215) set the standard. He produced career highs in total yards and touchdowns in the Lions' 64-40 defeat of McKinney North on Friday night.
And for his efforts, McCollister is the ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Offensive Player of the Week, following last week's winner -- Henderson quarterback Zane Boles.
McCollister completed 16 of 24 passes for a career-best 349 yards and a personal high-tying five touchdowns in the Lions' big playoff win last Friday night. If that weren't enough, he also picked up 124 yards and a touchdown on 12 rushing attempts, as John Tyler put up 726 yards of offense.
The JT quarterback had scoring tosses of 83 and 39 yards to sophomore receiver Damion Miller, 19 to senior Rodney Bendy, 37 to senior Nick Cain and 8 to junior Bryson Smith. McCollister's touchdown run covered 29 yards.
McCollister, currently a Central Arkansas commit, will enter this week's state semifinal against defending state champion Aledo with 3,137 passing yards, 29 touchdowns and five interceptions. He is second on the team in rushing as well with 568 yards and seven touchdowns.
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Offensive Players of the Week
- Week 15 (Dec. 4-6): Geovari McCollister, QB, John Tyler
- Week 14 (Nov. 27-29): Zane Boles, QB, Henderson
- Week 13 (Nov. 20-22): Junebug Johnson, RB, Waskom
- Week 12 (Nov. 13-15): Jeremiah Crawford, QB, Mineola
- Week 11 (Nov. 6-8): Marcalas Johnson, RB, Arp
- Week 10 (Oct. 30-Nov. 1): Cobe Caraway, RB, Tenaha
- Week 9 (Oct. 23-25): Jarod Blissett, QB, Carthage
- Week 8 (Oct. 16-18): Larry Pryor, QB, Sulphur Springs
- Week 7 (Oct. 9-11): Marcus Dowell, RB, Malakoff
- Week 6 (Oct. 2-4): Justin Hart, QB, Marshall
- Week 5 (Sept. 25-27): Keenen Johnson, QB, Alto
- Week 4 (Sept. 18-20): Zach Hall, QB, Tyler Lee
- Week 3 (Sept. 11-13): Michael Goodwin, QB, Tyler Bishop Gorman
- Week 2 (Sept. 4-6): Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton
- Week 1 (Aug. 28-30): Grant Hanks, QB, Bullard Brook Hill